HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cast 38-55 gas -checks?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 10:54 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cast 38-55 gas -checks?

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

I am in the process of casting bullets for my Grandpa's 1894 /38-55.I have a Lee .379-250gr-RF mold with no provision for gas check.I was wondering about leading with this bullet as I should be able to drive it at 1600-1800fps as I have the long barrel version with nickle steel .Was thinking around 30gr/IMR 3031 for starters.I have several cast books.I would like to find a 375296 Lyman mold 280gr but this is the best I can do for now.I have a 375248 but it is .375 bore perhaps too small? Anyone load this cartridge with cast bullets?Thanx Harold
Well, I'll tell you what I do with the plain-base cast bullets in .45/70's and other straight-taper rifle cartridge cases. I just put an INVERTED gascheck on top of the powder charge. IF there's a lot of airspace due to a reduced powder charge, I put one or more lubricated muzzleloader-type Wonderwads on top of the gaschech, under the bullet to hold everything in place. I believe you could do the same in the .38/55, and use a .36 cal. revolver Wonderwad in between, if yourpowder charge isn't big enough that there's no space between the gascheck and the bullet base...... (I shoot a pure lead Lyman 457122HP plain-base bullet this way from my Ruger No. 1 .45/70 with 65 grains of Swiss FFG or 42 grains of IMR 4064. MV of these two loads is 1350 FPS, and the Wonder Wads totally prevent leading, even with PURE lead bullets!

I use the Lyman 375449GC bullet in my 375 H&H and also load it for a friend's .38/55. I have to leave it unsized for the .38/55, because his has a .379" groove. But since it is a gascheck bullet, I don't have to go thru a drill to shoot it. I have found that with LBT Blue lube, I can shoot plain-base wheelweigh bullets up to 1500 FPS with no leading, using a SLOW powder (IMR 3031 OR SLOWER) that accelerates the bullet more gradually than the fast-burning stuff LYman often recommends for cast bullet shooting. IMO, Lyman uses powders that are too fast. Thesenot only accelerate the bullet too harshly, they also occupy alot less space in the case, making shot-to-shot ignition too random. These two effects adversely influence accuracy. I don't like to have to point my muzzle skyward just before each shot to get the powder back against the flash-hole!