HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Handgun hunting caliber
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2003, 05:53 PM
recoiljunky

Default RE: Best Handgun hunting caliber

That' s my take on the 10mm also. Ted Nugent has all those videos of hunting big game with it though. I' m not saying that it' s a good idea, but I wouldn' t mind adding a semi-auto kill to my list of weapons used.

I shot a nuisance domestic billy goat with a .40 S&W (basically a 10mm short) once. It didn' t work too well. I was sold on the notion that the .40 S&W was the ultimate self defense (man stopping) round, so it should kill a goat quickly. Not so. At least not with less than a head shot. Before it was over, things got ugly (I prefer the one shot one kill approach). The first shot was your standard, behind the front shoulder shot from 10 yards. It had such little effect that I questioned whether or not I hit the thing (actually my brother in law said I missed) but later we discovered that the bullet hit where aimed. The rest of the story would cause peta to take note, so I' ll refrain. Point being the .40 S&W is definitely not a hunting round! Maybe I should rethink the .45ACP idea.