HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need some advice...
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some advice...

ORIGINAL: LBR

I sure love the looks of those Silver Flames, though.
"Looks" have cost a lot of folks a whole lot of money--especially bowhunters.[:@]

Everything I've heard about SF broadheads has been positive, except the price. No doubt they will do the job--but do you "need" them? I don't think so. One of the least expensive heads on the market is Ribtek, and I love 'em. Initially I figured they would be a good head for rabbit hunting, due to the price, but I've learned they are super tough, sharpen well, hold an edge....what's not to love? I got almost 8" of penetration on a 6-point that weighed 165-175#......almost 8" of penetration into the hard-packed DIRT that is, after the arrow passed through the deer. He went maybe 35 yards and crashed. They do work well on bunnies too.

I like Wensel Woodsman's, if you can figure out the sharpening trick. I don't have it mastered, but I got mine sharp enough that when I shot a small pig in GA, it passed through so fast I thought I'd missed. Found the pig, never found my arrow (hunting from the ground).

I haven't tried them on a live critter yet, but I'm liking the Ace broadheads--and they get rave reviews. Bought a pack for my son to use for his first deer, whenever that chance arrives. Got myself a pack also, and hope to get a chance to properly "field test" them next season.

Magnus has a stellar reputation for customer service, and one of my best friends swears by them--he's killed gobs of deer with them.

You'll even see the occassional post or magizine article about folks killing deer with sharp rocks--seems the Indian's did just fine with those.

My point being is you can spend a lot on gear, but you don't HAVE to spend a lot. Paying 2-5 times as much doesn't mean you are getting a product that's 2-5 times better. I know with some things you will usually get what you pay for (wood arrows and strings come to mind). However, some products are marketed more towards fooling the hunter rather than doing a better job in the woods.

The POC arrows you have will do just fine as long as you do your part. Whitetails aren't tanks--an arrow that flies straight (no wobble) with a VERY sharp broadhead put in the right spot will take it down quickly--the deer won't know the difference.

Chad
Chad, (just remembered... one of your strings is on my bow)
I know you and Matt areright. Of course I don't need the Silver Flames. I really need to start remembering that I'm retired and drawing a little over half my basic pay and not the full active paycheck.[:@] I'll take the advice offered and get the Gold Tip weight system (if I can find it) and set up the 5575's I already have. 3555's would be closer to the right spine, but would leave me with a lighter arrow. I want that heavier arrow with a big FOC %.

If that doesn't work out, I won't waste much money, and I'll still have the dozen cedar shafts. I just have to find a good glue-on 125 grain 2 blade head with a 1" to 1 1/8" cutting diameter.