HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - pointer commands
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Mite
Typical Buck

Default RE: pointer commands

The first command and the most important is recall or 'come'/'dogs name'/'here'/etc. whatever you prefer to use. From there you want to teach it 'woah' or 'hold' for steadying later. 'Fetch' if you need the dog to fetch. I prefer not to force my dog to fetch; I can always bend down and pick it up. Reason - I want the outing to be fun and if the dog runs and retrieves it then the more happy we both will be (the natural retrieve).

Every other command is used for manners. A good manner dog will usually heel by his master side and not pulling his arms out of his socket. 'Sit' can be taught as well but alot of field trailers don't because sometimes when the dog's on point, yelling 'woah', the dogwill do instinctively the first thing without thinking which is sitting.

Get yourself a good training book. Joan Bailey, 'How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves'philosophy is good but there are a few things I woulddisagree on. Mainly, banging pots and pans andlifting the dog by the collar inorder for it to dropa bird. There are much better ways to introduce loud noises and blowing in a dogs ear will also make him release whatever he's holding.

Baileycomes from a versatile breed background and the book catered towards it. But its a very good read fora dog thats less than 1 yr old. You can use this book to get a basic idea of what a dog is thinking but for actual training program the best one I know so far is Delmar Smith, 'BestWay to TrainYour Gun Dog'. Huntsmith also has DVDs based upon Delmar's method -'PuppyDevelopment Video I & II, SilentCommand System'. So far is because they don't explain exactly why they are doing it. Another is the use of the chain gang. It's suppose to take the fight outof the dog and make training easier but I'mwondering if we should keepit.