HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions
Old 03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Angus74

Default RE: Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

In my opinion I hope we get them this year. There are enough deer in most area of the state now, that filling a tag for meat isnt a problem, I would rather shoot a doe than an immature buck, I just dont see a reason to shoot young bucks, but everyone has their own opinion on it. We have been protecting young bucks on our property for several years, and I can say there has been a significant increase of mature bucks on the property since they are able to reach mature age. We also have a couple neighbors doing the same thing, our only problem is a piece of neighboring property lets many hunt on it, and they shoot everything that looks like a deer. This past season, there were 7 bucks taken off that property and the largest was a 5 pointer, and all were 1 1/2 year olds. That really took out a lot of our bucks we have passed. There has also been a huge increase in people hunting that property since word is getting out about the size of some of our bucks in the area. If people give it a chance I think most will appreciate it after a few years. I also think the youth hunters should be able to take whatever they choose. The best scenario would be to propect young bucks under a certain age, but that would be impossible for everyone to judge age accurately before taking the shot, I judge by age more than antler points, but antler points are the easiest way for everyone to follow the same rules. These are just my $.02 but I hope in May they tell us they are going state wide with ARs.