HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did I screw up?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 01:11 PM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default Did I screw up?

About a month ago, I ran across (what I now believe) was the dealthat will probably only come along once ina lifetime - but I passed it up.

Totally random, I was at the hockey rink standing up against the glass, and struck up a conversation with a totally random guy. Somehow, conversation turned to cleaning out household junk, and this guy starts telling me about how he can't let go of things.

Long story short: I guess his wife made him clean out his garage- and he took a whole load of junk to Goodwill. One item being "an oldbow that he won a long time ago."

So, naturally - I say "what KIND of bow?"

Bear Whitetail Hunter.

Hmm... "In good shape?"

"Still in the box. Never fired. Right-handed bow, I'm lefty. And I don't hunt anyway."

It was the whole kit. With armguard, arrows, quiver, sights - the whole bit. I bet the plastic armguard still had that "new rubber" smell... Never even assembled. A virgin.

So, I call Goodwill - and they still have it. Score. Price: $100. Ouch.I haggled them down to $90, but she wouldn't budge any further. I wanted it for $75 (I'm a huge tightwad). So I passed, and nowit's gone.

$90 is a lot to blow on a bow that you never intend on firing... But that was a piece of archery history - and I let it slip right through my hockey gloves. [>:]

Seriously - that was a FRED BEAR WHITETAIL HUNTER - and it was STILL IN THE BOX! I could've had its virginity. Really, you don't have many chances in life to pop the cherry of a 20+ year old bow. Especially one with that kind of history.

But on the other hand, I didn't wanna be "that guy." You know - the closet case who has a house-full of G.I. Joes and Transformers still in the packaging, because "they're gonna be worth a lot of money someday." Besides, my wife may have physically assaulted me if I went to play hockey and came home with another damn bow.