HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hevi-Shot...really that amazing???
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 AM
mouthcaller
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hevi-Shot...really that amazing???

Kdsberman

I thought the same thing (Hevi-shot is too expensive) until I really took a closer look. The primary thing is this - these shells, actually these pellets,are the thing that kills the turkey. It isn't the calling, the camo clothes, the Gore-Tex boots, the fancy vest, crow call, slate call, mouth calls, box call, decoys, or any of the other gear I buy and use while turkey hunting. What kills the turkey is the pellets shot from a shell, passing through a choke in a shotgun barrel. From the perspective of what part of my hunting equipment is most important to maximize, I have chosen to maximize the efficiency of thecomponent that actually kills the turkey.

As far as the expense goes, I hope to shoot three Nitros at turkeys this season (the limit is 4 in Tennessee but I would be happy with 2 or 3). Thats 3 X $5.00 per shell = $15.00. Add one or two more to confirm that I am sighted in and now were are at $20.00 to $25.00. Seems like a lot of money for 5 shots, or is it???

I spend at least $20.00 - $30.00 on gasoline alone each time I go turkey hunting. Over the season, including the early youth hunt, that is5-6 weekends (at least) X approximately $40.00 - $60.00 per weekend so now we are at $200.00 up to $360.00 on gasoline alone. Another weekday quota hunt involves a motel room and eats for two nights, so add another $200.00 - $300.00. That adds up to approximately $400.00 to $600.00 + just to be able to get to where I want to go turkey hunting and I haven't even called at a gobbler yet. Nevermind what I spend on mouthcalls each year, clothes and boots that need to be replaced, etc.

Put into this perspective, that $15.00 - $25.00 I spend on 3-5 Nitros, which I strongly believe gives me the best chance to actually kill the turkey, seems like a pretty wiseinvestment.

I work hard and save vacation time to be afforded the privilege to hunt turkeys. With that said, however, I don't have to actually kill a bird to get a rush from an encounter with a turkey. Some of the most memorable hunts I've had didn't involve a turkey being shot at. But when that moment of truth arrives when the safety is off, my finger is on the trigger and I'm aiming that circle-X reticle at a full-grown gobbler l am completely confident that I have done everything I can to ensure that the turkey will soon be very dead at any range from point blank to 50 yards.