HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington CDL or Ruger M77 Hawkey?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
schoolcraft
Fork Horn

Default Remington CDL or Ruger M77 Hawkey?

I'm still tossing aroung which caliber would be the best "all around" one for me.....but I would like to get some opinions from the more experienced shooters/hunters on accuracy.

If I went with a .30-06 for instance, should I expect the Remington or Ruger to be more accurate out of the box?

The Remington 700 really seems to have a reputation for great accuracy, and after looking at both the CDL and M77, the 700 looks to have a little heavier contour barrel which I usually equate to more accurate....although I could be wrong. The rifle will be strictly for hunting deer and hogs, so no competitive target shooting. I'm a little of a perfectionist, so I know I'll be seeking the load that shoots the smallest groups out of my rifle.

Also, in standard and magnum calibers, the Remington CDL has a 2" longer barrel.How much difference in bullet velocity should someone see with the extra 2" AND how would that make any difference in how effective the caliber was?

I've always been fond of the 7mm. Rem. Mag, but I dont know if I want to tote around a 26" barrel gun if 24" is just as good.

Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated