HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Gold Dot would be better for me?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 02:37 PM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Gold Dot would be better for me?

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Chap

Your clip here says that the 300 XTP has a approximate BC of .230 @ 2200 fps... so the estimation is 30 points higher than Hornady's of .200 @ their computed velocity and I am sure you know that BC is a function of velocity so... I think we might have to add that much + a little to the Gold Dot @ 2200fps..... but I am a mere mortal shooting those 300's out of a regular ML barrel - no way am I going to get 2200 fps shooting a 300 grain bullet with BP/T7 - now you super humans shooting a Savage and smokeless - thatprobably is adifferent story.
Right these are Savage velocities, you should try a Savage, since your into accuracy--and you do have a knack for getting great accuracy with all your rifles quickly. They are very accurate guns. You don't have to shoot them hot either. I will probably stay with good old 5744 at about 2000 fps for deer around here (which is basically 3 pellet speed), and shoot the 4198 on my elk hunt. I just loaded up 5 viles each of 64, 65 and 66g of 4198 to try out some day next weekend. That powder is suppost to shoot at about 2300 fps, from what I have read. I wish I had a chrony now, may have to invest in one soon. Chap