HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2003, 06:55 AM
Kyler

Default RE: Baiting Ban lifted in WI

Plaid Dad,
I do a little hunting in New Berlin, however the vast majority of my hunting is done on our property in south-eastern Adams county. There are grain fields and things of that nature within a few miles of us. Otherwise, it' s woods, and un-farmed grasslands besides our smaller food plots. The grain fields would do nothing but pull deer away from us. I too have never seen a large buck over the bait during daylight hours. However, before CWD was in the picture, we had what we called a " Winter Feeding Program" that we would start in mid-December. We put the the Cam-Trakkers over the food piles to see what bucks made it through the season. At that time we had a few shooters come in. That is what I feel is the problem with baiting. The deer know the food is there, it will be there, and they can get it anytime they want. Like at 2AM when no one is hunting except the poachers and the coyotes. I don' t blame guys who do it, because I have done it in the past, but I would prefer to see the ban for concerns of CWD and to allow natural feeding...particularily on our food plots. I will add before everyone jumps on me, I know it is not known for sure how CWD is spread, however I would prefer not to bait versus running the risk.