Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 03-28-2003, 02:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Baiting Ban lifted in WI

I think that this will help the herd, because of hunters seeing more deer and that means more chance to harvest a deer! I have mixed feelings! I just wanna hunt!![:-]
Old 03-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here a story on the feeding/baiting of deer! http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/m...sp?source=tmj4
Old 03-28-2003, 07:28 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

What is most telling to me is that the vote in committee to lift the ban was 10-0. 10-0! I am probably one of the more neutral hunters on the subject of baiting, but that sort of margin shows just what a poor job the DNR has done on the PR front.

Also, way to go DNR blowing off your own foot by allowing baiting in the one infected area of the state!
Old 03-28-2003, 07:59 PM

We attended the JCRAR meeting, and as usual, for the last couple years, we were the ONLY hunting organization there representing the hunters. The dept. ( 2 people in particular) continue to blow smoke at the committee and they' re getting tired of it.
Because of our testimony of concern, back in November, a bill has been introduced by the Assembly Natural Resources Committee to give the DNR to power to control the movement of animals and carcasses. A copy of this will be on our website soon. Please contact the committee and support this bill.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:59 AM

I happen to live fifty feet on the north side of Hwy 10. I' ve always been against the baiting the way it was done around here. HUGE illegal piles. If they go to 2 gallons and people follow that, fine. If this is 2 gals. on a forty, and everyone here owns between 5 and 20 acres, more confusion. In my opinion, they should either have it state wide with small amounts, or not have it. I personnally saw more deer movement last season with out baiting. Kept a few hunters out of the woods around me because they claim they can' t get deer with out bait. More controversy again! It just never ends! No matter what they do, I will still hunt and adjust my hunting accordingly.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:03 PM

I' m all about a full out ban on baiting. I saw more deer last year than ever before. I put some serious hours on the stand the past several years. In the past years, I haven' t seen near the number of does due to a neighbor who does a lot of baiting on a very dense property. We would see a lot of young bucks and we would start to think that our ratios were getting good. But when the guns started blazing we had does all over. I' m sure some were displaced from other properties but it just went to show me how many were holed up on this property. Our food plots which take a lot more work finally paid off with a shooter buck that was chasing a doe. The feeling of satisfaction when my snot-drippin' nephew arrowed a nice 8 pt off one of the plots will live with us all forever. He should score right around 125. I should note, he is 20 years old and this was his first buck he shot. He has probably passed up over 50 bucks with bow and gun over the years. Great restraint for a young hunter who is happy to shoot a doe for the meat.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:08 PM

kyler, what part of the state do you hunt? I grew up in New Berlin, and all my hunting down there was done on farms farther out in Waukesha County.

No need to bait a corn field.

I have lived up north in Eagle River for more than 20 years now, and before the ban, I would bait near home,because I wanted to see deer while on stand for only a few hours after work.

The big bucks I hunted, I never baited. I just never saw a big buck at a bait pile.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:55 AM

Plaid Dad,
I do a little hunting in New Berlin, however the vast majority of my hunting is done on our property in south-eastern Adams county. There are grain fields and things of that nature within a few miles of us. Otherwise, it' s woods, and un-farmed grasslands besides our smaller food plots. The grain fields would do nothing but pull deer away from us. I too have never seen a large buck over the bait during daylight hours. However, before CWD was in the picture, we had what we called a " Winter Feeding Program" that we would start in mid-December. We put the the Cam-Trakkers over the food piles to see what bucks made it through the season. At that time we had a few shooters come in. That is what I feel is the problem with baiting. The deer know the food is there, it will be there, and they can get it anytime they want. Like at 2AM when no one is hunting except the poachers and the coyotes. I don' t blame guys who do it, because I have done it in the past, but I would prefer to see the ban for concerns of CWD and to allow natural feeding...particularily on our food plots. I will add before everyone jumps on me, I know it is not known for sure how CWD is spread, however I would prefer not to bait versus running the risk.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.