Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Montec and Poor Blood Trails?? >

Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

Old 03-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

Ok, I have been reading quite a bit onthe siteslately about the lack of blood trails with Montec heads. I chose the Montec to replace the tried and true Rocky Mountain Ironhead 125 that I have used for the past 10 years or so. I have not had a chance to shoot an animal with the Montec yet, but am a little skeptical. What are the reasons you have seen poor blood trails with the Montec? What head would you recommend as a replacement for the Ironhead? Been thinking Slick Tricks or Strikers are about as close of a replacement for the Ironhead as I can find. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

I have shot seven deer with this head and have had amazing blood trails every time. It is all up to shot placement
Old 03-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife killed her first deer this year, with a Montec. Great blood, very good cut on contact head.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never had a problem with Montecs. The ONLY complaint I have is they weren't as sharp as I like them out of the box. However, it wasn't a big deal, because they are easy to sharpen. I found the blood trails to be very good.

I switched to the G5 Striker, and I'm not lookin' back. These heads are "scary" sharp, tough as hell, and I like the replaceable blades.

If you do go with the Montec, I don't think you'll be unsatisfied.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am 16 for 16 with them, no issue here.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Striker is one really nasty head. I shot a squirrel with one (I know, not a deer...but read on!) and it stuck about 1' in the ground. Took it out, cleaned it up, shot another squirrel, and still have the head. They are definitely a TOUGH head.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

the only problem i had with my montecs is they come out of the box really dull, because they want you to buy there sharpner... kinda smart actually.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

the only problem i had with my montecs is they come out of the box really dull, because they want you to buy there sharpner... kinda smart actually.
You don't have to use their sharpener to get them sharp.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies, I hate to have to change broadheads but must move on because Rocky Mnt does not make them anymore. I have been tinkering with sharpening the heads and have been using the wet/dry sand paper method. It is amazing how sharp I can get these heads with minimal effort. I really just need to put one thought the plumbing of an animal and call it good.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Site Bouncer

I've had no problems with Montecs....all have performed great with great blood trails.

If you decide to use them this fall.......shoot with confidence.

Quick Reply: Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.