HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tikka T3 Synthetic/Stainless In 300 WSM
Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tikka T3 Synthetic/Stainless In 300 WSM

ORIGINAL: ox1443

Ok but skeeter Is a 3-9X50 a good scope i plan on getting it in Bushnell Trophey Or Legend
No 50mm, it will cause you to have to mount the scope higher. Often leads to head cant or poor cheek weld. Which can affect shootability and mayincrease the chance of getting kissed by the scope.With new/young shooter with CF I personally put them on my fixed leupold M8 which has a 32mm, allowing them to stay down and in contact with the comb.I know you have shooting experience soa 3x9x40mm be the way to go.If you want light gathering spend more money on your scope and if need be less on the rifle.

I have looked/shot the banner's...didn't like it personally but I'm not you. Word to the wise if you choose the Banner D 2 D be sure to buy the 4" banner as they make several 3x9x40 models and they have different ER values.

Never looked through the Legend, looks as though its a step up from the banner. According to the specs 3.5" of ER with the 3x9x40 model.

As far as Bushnell I have used/like the 3200 and 4200 elites. They are marginally less in ER at 3.3" with the 3x9x40mm models but optically and structurally well built.I say this is a better route but you'll have to dig a little deeper in the piggy back. If 300ish is within your grasp check out SIR mailorder out of winnipeg, just noticed they have the 4200 elite 3x9x4200. It'll outperform the lower end 50mm by a long shot in good and low light conditions.I'd prefereither on a heavier recoiling rifle vs the entry levels. Prior to the the recent 08' release of elite 6500 this was bushnells top of the line scope. Hard pressed to find a scope optically that'll meet or beat it for this money. Only knock is ER but .2" isn't enough to sway me to suggest otherwise.

Alot of people here like/suggest nikons, problem is finding them in Sask. is tough. North Pro Sports in s'toon carries them however I'd call first to find out what they have in stock. SIR has good stock but returning them is a hassle and you'll be subject to a re-stocking fee. I don't suggest buying without looking but that's your decision as well.

Once you have the gun and scope figured out don't chimp on the mounts(rings and bases). I don't like standard weavers, if you want weavers get the grand slam steel mounts not the alum. Personally on anything above rimfires i use only leupold and warnes. These have both been excellent and never had an issue...about the right comprimise for me for performance vs price. You can certainly spend more though. If you end up with a Tikka, tikka/sako ownersuse/like optilocks.Don't owntikkas or sakosso just observationbased.