HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Gun for 8 year old
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Gun for 8 year old

First of all I know some 40 year old's that have no business in the woods with a loaded rifle. I think it is admirable you take your son with you. I am sure you have more fun watching him, than you do hunting by yourself. So Kudo's to you. More parents need to spend more time with the kid's.

I would recommend a single shot rifle with a break open action. All price points can be covered here. If you want to get a nicer rifle then buy an Encore. If you want a less expensive rifle you can get a Handi-Rifle.

Any of the lighter cartridges will do just fine. I am sure you are making him take good shots. So any cartridge he can effectively hit with, will be just fine.

I like the break open actions for kid's. If the action is open, then the rifle is not going to go off. He should be taught to keep the action open at all times, except when he is ready to shoot. That iswhen dad hands him a cartridge. This is the only safe way. You must admit that the mind of an 8 year old can wander.

Someone above mentioned a semi'auto. I think that would be a real mistake. Remember. Keep it simple, and keep it fun. Tom.