HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Gun for 8 year old
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Gun for 8 year old

ORIGINAL: jr.alspanky

This will be our first year for deer hunting and I need to find a gun for my 8 year old. This past year was his first year hunting, we did a few rabbit and duck hunts. He was shooting a 20ga, which he liked except when I bought 3" #4's for duck hunting. He really didn't like the amount of recoil. What gun should I get him for deer hunting ? The less recoil the better. We will not be shooting any long range shots, probably 100 yards or less. I was think of getting a slug gun for myself.
If he can shoot a 20-ga., then he can shoot up to at least a 7/'08. So anything from a .243 up to a standard-size non magnum7mm should be OK. personally, I'd look at the smaller 6.5m's, like the 6.5X54 Mannlicher 6.5X55, 6.5X57, or .260 Remington. If you could find a good one, a small .250 Savage would be perfect! I would consider a single-shot or a bolt action. I would NOT recommend a semi-auto for an 8-year old! Spend a lot of time on the range with him before hunting season! Make sure he can shoot it effectively before he goes after game!