HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - colorado elk 2008 archery
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: colorado elk 2008 archery

Ended the trip early? Sorry to hear.

You're going for elk rifle? ie cause 1st or 4th season? I think the 2 seasons to consider are archery in /near the rut, and late rifle, when hopefully the snow will push them lower....though also later in the season, they've been hunted, though 1st rifle season you may not see them, ask your outfitter about this and what he prefers, advantages/disadvantages, maybe success for these seasons last 3 years? you can never ask too many questions. If you're looking for a big boy ask him which of those 2 produces more? which produces the most in his opinion, is it 2nd/3rd? Also do you want to hunt in the cold/snow? shouldn't be a problem....if you're prepared. Also how are the shots in these seasons? if season 1 theyre 200yds and season 4 they're 500yds? something to consider....I knew a guy who went on a hunt when he got there they had em shooting at 500yds! guess the practice was good, but 500yds is quite a shot for most easterners. Just ask questions, call references!, try to get some references from guys that didnt kill etc.....I think outfitters should publish al lclients info......minus phone #'s if they don't wish to be contacted.....