Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

colorado elk 2008 archery

Old 02-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Spike

Default colorado elk 2008 archery

1st trip for elk. I'm looking at an outfitter called Winterhawk, has anyone heard of them? Right now I have a choice of the 1st or 4th week. Does anyone have an opinion on what would be the better week to hunt.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:46 AM
car
Typical Buck

Default RE: colorado elk 2008 archery

Yes I've heard of them.
I have never hunted with them or heard anything bad about them.
Winterhawk hunts the Flattop's area. I've hunted this area 2 times. Using horses to get away from hunting pressure is the key to seeing elk.
If your planning on using a outfitter give Winterhawk a call. I like the flattops area but, backpacking in is hard work for someone not use to the area! If you have your own horses then you will need to do alot of homework.
One other thing. The weather up there can change in a hurry! The last time we hunted there was during 911. On the pack in the weather went from short sleeve shirts to 6"-8" of snow overnight.
We were into the elk on this trip and things were looking real good. Then 911 hit and we ended our trip to head back home to be with family. Not knowing what was going on for sure in the US.
Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.
car
Old 02-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Spike

Car,
Thanks for the feedback. Would you have any prefference on 1st or 4th week?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure which GMU they hunt in, but the difference between 1st and 4th is definately the weather. If they hunt at high altitudes then snow may drive them down by 4th season. You should be ok for 1st season. If the snow drives them down to lower altitude then they may be on private property. If you don't have permission to hunt private then you're out of luck.

After going back and reading your first post, I see you're talking archery. Weather will also play a role. If the temps are too hot the first of season then they won't be talking. The rut kicks in about the 3rd week of the season. I go out the first week of Sept. and hear bugles all the time, some guys don't.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ended the trip early? Sorry to hear.

You're going for elk rifle? ie cause 1st or 4th season? I think the 2 seasons to consider are archery in /near the rut, and late rifle, when hopefully the snow will push them lower....though also later in the season, they've been hunted, though 1st rifle season you may not see them, ask your outfitter about this and what he prefers, advantages/disadvantages, maybe success for these seasons last 3 years? you can never ask too many questions. If you're looking for a big boy ask him which of those 2 produces more? which produces the most in his opinion, is it 2nd/3rd? Also do you want to hunt in the cold/snow? shouldn't be a problem....if you're prepared. Also how are the shots in these seasons? if season 1 theyre 200yds and season 4 they're 500yds? something to consider....I knew a guy who went on a hunt when he got there they had em shooting at 500yds! guess the practice was good, but 500yds is quite a shot for most easterners. Just ask questions, call references!, try to get some references from guys that didnt kill etc.....I think outfitters should publish al lclients info......minus phone #'s if they don't wish to be contacted.....
Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 PM
car
Typical Buck

We always been there during bow season. I should say that it was muzzelloader season also. That is around Sept 15 or so. If your rifle hunting, 4th season might not workas well. It depends on how much snow is on the ground. The flattops range is 9500 to over 11000 elevation.
Winterhawk has hunted this area for a good while. They will be able to help with what season is best to hunt.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

What is the subject line say? ARCHERY. RDB1125 asked about either 1st or 4th week of archery season. I've only gone during the last two weeks of archery on the two trips I did and I've heard both sides. Early season obviously before they get pounded by too many archery and then the MZ hunters for a week can be good from what I've heard but then others say the last week or two is the best. Flip a coin!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

there's 4 archery seasons for elk in colorado? I knew there were 3-4 rifle seasons, why would there be 4 archery seasons?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

there's 4 archery seasons for elk in colorado? I knew there were 3-4 rifle seasons, why would there be 4 archery seasons?
That's also what threw me. He didn't say the 1st or 4th season, he said the 1st or 4th week. I miss-read it also the first time I read it.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Spike

So you see my dilema. My 1st choice would be the 2nd then 3rd week, but my outfitter is booked full.
The 1st week starts August 30th thru September 5th, well before the rut starts but better weather and 1st crack at them before they are pressured.
The 4th week hunts September 23rd thru 28th. I believe thats the peak of the rut. The Elk have been hunted for 3 weeks is the down side, but since I am going guided the guides have been hunting for 3 weeks also and should know exactly where to find them.

Quick Reply: colorado elk 2008 archery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.