HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 AM
brettf

Default RE: Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out

I wanted to address some of the comments on the Smoke Broadhead. This broadhead has been designed for better accuracy and deeper penetration for bigger game animals, therefore, hide simulation for target practice is necessary (for eg, deer hide).The reason the Smoke Broadhead will not go off in cardboard/foam types of targets is because the surface area of cardboard/foam is not hydrated and does not flex. It has a rigid surface area which disallows the puckering/pliancy of the target which is needed for the Smoke Broadhead to deploy and lock open.All animals do not have rigid bodies; but instead have a hydrated mass with a certain amount of pliancy. This is how the Smoke was designed. This allows the Smoke Broadhead to create front end load for deployment as it is pushing through the hide into the pliable ballistic gelatin and/or body mass before it deploys and enters the target. After it is deployed and enters the target, the Smoke frontal tip creates a hydrofoil which minimizes friction down the arrow shaft and allows for extreme penetration.This is how the Smoke design evolved and why the frontal tip design, the distance between the frontal tip and the blades when deployed, and the pliancy of the animal hide enable the opening and locking of the broadhead upon impact. When tested in ballistic gelatin, no broadhead on the market has out penetrated the Smoke Broadhead; fixed or mechanical.

With respect to being a knock off of the Piston Point, the provisional patent for the Smoke was filed in 2003.Also, I have had marketing companies test the Smoke andthey were impressed that the entry wound was
actually larger than the Piston Point. Again, this is a result of the design with the pliancy of the hide. This mechancial deployment system of the Smoke broadhead is NOTHING like the Puckett Bloodtrailer.

The broadhead will not deflect off of bone; in fact, it was actually shot through a 220 lb. buck at 48 yards causing a compound fracture of the opposite right front leg. The 1 1/8" entry cut diameter allows the Smoke to deploy at any shot angle. Also, there is no drag on this broadheadbecausethe design of the frontal tip is to utilize thekinetic energy of the arrowshaftas described above. In fact, when shot against any cut on contact broadhead whether it be mechanical or fixed, none will out penetrate the Smoke.

It ismore humane because it is as accurate as a field point for shot placement and once deployed in the animaland if there is no pass through, the backcut will cut its way rearward out of the animal creating extreme tissue damage and internal hemmoraging that will lead to shorter blood trails and faster kills. As far as barbing goes, as a start, the PA Game Commission has already approved it as non-barbing because of the backcut. We have done our research and only a handful of states will see this as barbing.

For smaller game such as fox, turkeys, squirrels, etc., I have in production the Smoke "Tommy Knocker" Turkey Tip. This is a wider and flatter tip that screws on to the end of the Smoke ferrule and was produced to address specific results of the testing I have done.Larger game with heavier hide require the Smoke triangular cutting tip.

I appreciate the feedback.