HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - affordable ammo [lol]
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Retaks

Default RE: affordable ammo [lol]

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Im also thinking about getting into reloading. I just cant afford the initial cost right now. I also found HSM ammo and asked about them but noone replyed to my question about how good they are.
HSM ammo?? What is that??

When you throw away an empty case after one firing, you are tossing away about 75% of the cost of that round of loaded ammo. If you don't insist on using the costliest bullets you can use for reloading, it costs you about $0.44 per round to reload that caseusing jacketed bullets. That's $44.00 for 100 rounds. Not too shaggy. You don't have to go broke to reload! All you need is a good loading manual-(buy this item before anything else!!)-and a press, a set of dies, and a powder scale. You will eventually need a case trimmer also, but you can get away without one for at least awhile. (I cut back all my overly long brass with only a chamfering/deburring tool for several years-yes, the case mouths looked fairly ragged, but it kept me from having cases that were dangerously over length!

As an example, I bought a "used" RCBS Rockchuker press off of e-bay a couple years back for $50.00, and a Lyman-Ohaus M-5 powder scale for $35.00.Both of these appeared to be hardly used at all when I unpacked them. Die sets can cost as little as $5.00 up. depending on make and caliber. Nope. You don't have to go broke buying equipment, in the beginning, anyway!
HSM is Hunting Shack ammo. Its in a orange box. I jsut heard about it the other day. As for throwing away the brass i save all my brass except for my rimfires because i plan on reloading i just dont have the funds to start right now. I do masonry worka dn we cant work during the winter so im kinda tight on money until spring.