HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NATIONAL WEAR YOUR FIREARM PROUDLY DAY!!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
wyotimberghost

Default RE: Open Carry?

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

I know many college-aged individuals who are more mature and level headed than older adults. It's a matter of personality and self control, not age. Besides, if one "loose cannon" did go off, there would be others who were better tempered to put him down if concealed carry was legal and other students were taking advantage of the freedom. Denying individuals the right to defend themselves because of a stereotype is dispicable.
Let me get this right.... if one kid flips out it would be an acceptable loss because other kids would be there to use lethal force and subdue him? Thats what you are telling me? So would you be in favor of personality tests or interviews in order to obtain a carry permit on campus? How do you submit we would go about determining who was fit or unfit?
How is this any different than the "real world"? If someone "flips out" and starts shooting you can only hope that someone else will be there to stop them. Their age and location have nothing to do with it. It could happen off campus just as easily as it could happen on campus. And I never said any loss was acceptable. It's just a part of life.

The answer is simple- just eliminate colleges' classification as gun-free zones. People who have already gone through the steps to get their CCW would then be able to carry on campus just as they carry off campus. Colleges in Utah do this, yet when was the last time you heard of one of their students "flipping out" and shooting their peers?

As I said before, denying individuals the right to defend themselves because of a stereotype is dispicable. Assumptions are dangerous things.