HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Invasion of privacy to catch deadbeat dads
Old 03-20-2003, 02:56 PM
hntngirl
Matriarch Doe!

Default RE: Invasion of privacy to catch deadbeat dads

First of all, I wish the term " dead-beat dads" would be done away with. There are now a heck of alot of women who also have chosen not to support their children. That being said...
As of the year 2000, there were over 18.9 million children in the US who were owed over 88 billion dollars from their non-custodial parents. The rate of success in collecting from those parents is only 44%.
In the state of Maryland, 352,591 children were owed 1.36 billion dollars.
This lack of parental support affects us all, through the taxes we end up paying for the support of many of them through welfare, food stamps, medical cards, etc.
While driver' s licenses are checked, many of the absent parents don' t have one, due to having lost it because of bad driving, having it suspended for non-payment of child-support, or by choice, such as those who live in cities large enough to make due with public transportation.
Social security numbers are already used to find these parents through tax returns, employment, loan applications, student loans, and licenses needed for some occupations.
I personally see no problem with extending the search through hunting and fishing licenses. We already supply that information when we purchase them.
Maybe you have thought of something I am overlooking. Let me know.