HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Self Defense handgun help. -NO LEGAL ADVICE NEEDED!-
Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Self Defense handgun help.

ORIGINAL: elLOCOmutha

My first post says nothing about where or who i'm buying a handgun from.
Right... but it does say that you are buying it for someone else. I can be subpeoniaed in a court of law (even if I can't spell it correctly) to testify as an expert witness because I am an arms dealer. I am held to a higher standard, just as a concealed carry holder is. You are expected to know the law inside and out. You had best get used to the idea. In law, one or two words can COMPLETELY change the entire meaning of a law, document, or statement. If you had written, I am looking for a good concealed carry pistol for my girlfriend. Or a friend and I are looking for some ideas on carry guns. Then it would be a non-issue.

But you came right out and said that you are looking to buy one for someone else. That is the definition of a straw purchase.... and whether that person is able to take possession of a firearm or not is totally irrelevant.Just read the first question on the certificationof transferee section of the 4473......

"Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s) listed on the this form? Warning: You are not the not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you."

Making a false statement on a 4473 which is a falsifying a federal document is a felony. If the person you are buying for is not legally able to take possession of a firearm, then you can both spend a required minimum of ten years in federal lock-up.

You may make a gift of firearm to someone.. such as others have listed. You are responsible for the disposition of that firearm, and using your money to buy a gift for someone is totally fine. But "buying one for someone else" is illegal. You can change that statement around... but exactly as you put it is exactly as it is not allowed. I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, please understand this. Just a little heads up in the game you are getting ready to play with your freedom.