HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Self Defense handgun help. -NO LEGAL ADVICE NEEDED!-
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
the_sandman_454
Spike

Default RE: Self Defense handgun help.

Actually, in some cases, you can buy a firearm to give to someone else. It is only a straw purchase and illegal if that person is having you buy it becausehe or she is not legallycapable of buying one for him/herself.

Example of legal situation/transaction: For Christmas last year, I bought as a gift for my father, a Marlin 336 .30-30. I used my money to pay for it, and it was a gift for someone who would have been legally able to buy and posess it. Perfectly legal transaction for anything you need to fill out the ATF 4473 paperwork for.

Example of an illegal transaction: Your friend who has a felony conviction gives you money to proceed to buy them a gun. This is a straw purchase because it is not your money, and you are buying it for someone who can't legally buy or posess it.

Officially your best bet is to take your friend to a shooting range that rents firearms, rent a bunch of different ones, and then let your friend buy whatever he/she wants. Just give your friend the cash money as a gift instead of the gun, that way you don't have to worry about the situation at all.

*That all having been said, in no way am I attempting to give legal advice. Consult the regulations or an attorneyyourself to be sure.

Now, onto the gun question: Not all semi autos are smaller than revolvers. My 1911 is about the same thickness as the cylinder on my J frame S&W .357mag revolver. Either conceals just fine with the right holster and clothing choices. Your friend just has to decide what fits the hand and body type/build best and go from there.