HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Side arm vs. Grizzley
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 03:40 AM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Side arm vs. Grizzley

I don't know dude..
Odds are leaning toward me telling you to bring a side arm if ya want but really really practice with it..
And not just at targets standing still, bears move, and move fast,you'll be lucky to get one shot off before his on top shreeding your face and grinding his teeth right through your skull.
Forget the pepper spary, most likely it ain't gonna work, thebear has to be within feet before it really really works to be effective, and in reality,by that time you've either emptied the can when he was still fifty yards away,, or dropped it and are running the other direction..and if the winds blowing towards ya, which it will be cause I'm sure your smart that way, that spray will be in your eyes,mouth and nosein seconds..
Honestly my best suggestion be bear aware, they leave lots of sign, and the big ones leave lots and lots of sign, the ones you have to be aware of the most, are the subordinate males these are the ones that are constantly pushed out of territories that are plenishable with food and are the ones that are hungry and are more likely to attack kill and eat humans.....
Next would be males protectling there kills, and lastly females and cubs...
If ya smell a god awful stenchstay away, if ya happen to shoot an elk in late afternoon, and are forced to leave it over night, glass that area well before approaching your kill again the next morn for any indication that a bear is near..
The good news though, bears tend to be out in late afternoon roaming for food, while the best time for elk hunting is first light so chances are you'll see em in the distance but there is a very good chance you won't see em within a 200yrds range.......
They tend to be more of a nuisance than a threat by that I mean if ya keep your food stinky clothing, and carcasees well away from your camp and high up in the air,you'll be o.k.
Just be smart and enjoy yourself..