HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 PM
riner69er
Spike

Default RE: Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??

I really think any of the things listed coul dbe the problem. Or some combination of all of the things. I did find that if I pulled the gun tight to my shoulder it would move the scope. I wasnt sure if I shoul dbe doing that, or just touching the gun to my shoulder so as to take as much "play" out of it as possible (I probably wont pull the gun tight with the same amount of pressure every time, but I can barely touch it to my shoulder every time with much more consistancy).

I really dont have much experience, I am more of a bow hunter, but I was taught to shoot by taking a deep breath, slowly letting it out, then half way through the breath (or so), slowly start to squeeze. Like you said, I was taught that I should be surprised when the gun goes off. I tried to do that as much as possible, but I'm afraid I started aimign and firing towards the end. I need to slow down some and take my time.

I am in Ohio, and this weekend is was arounf 20 degrees, so heat was not an issue. Ha! Yea, I was checking the barrel periodically, and it wasnt even warm.

I actually tried one Remmington copper solid on my last shot just to see how that would go (my dad had some in the truck). it ended up higher and more right than the Winchesters were. But it was only 1 shot, so....

Yea, I am going to get the Hornady and Federal I think and see how that goes. It sounds like most peopel are happy with the SSTs, so I'll start with those and if I'm not happy try the Federal.

thanks a lot for the info, I am going on a boar/Aoudad hunt in August, which is why I got this gun. I was thinking I might not be able to take an Aoudad with this gun since I didnt think it was accurate outside of 100 yards, but now you have me excited to work on my 200 yard shot.