HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 PM
MichiganWhitetails74
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??

A hot topic for me...I have 2 H&R 12 gauges....

I shoot Hornady SST's with my H&R and have taken a deer at 213 yards with a range finder and light winds....

My gun is sighted in for2.5 inches hi at 100 yards and zero @ 150 yards...My SST's drop 6.5 inches at 200 Yards...

I harvested about 10 deer with the federal Barnes expanders out to 180 yards...I dropped the federals and went for the SST's because of the 300 gr. bullet and longer shots. I hunt an area that allows for open field long distant shots...

Remember...the only way to get your H&R the best it can be is to site it in with a gun vice with zero to light wind conditions...try to take as much human error out of the gun that you can....Your H&R should hold in a 3 inch circle at 100 yards (Worst Case)..It will give you 1.5 to 2 inches with some work and patience...

Hornadys & Federal shoot the best for me.......Winchester were ok ..remingtons were bad.......lightfields were good but they're bulling balls...heavy....PM me if you want more info...I use a Leopold 2X7 on mine....Have fun.....You have a great gun there....but boy is she heavy aeh???...actually took a 43 inch bull moose with mine!!