HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened
Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Nemont
Fork Horn

Default RE: HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened

Who twisted your arm into hunting in Montana? I think you willing ponied up the money to pay for a license, nobody held a gun to your head and said pay it or else. You decided that it was worth it to you because you chose to spend your money hunting as a NR rather then going to Vegas or some other activity.

As a matter fact I do know exactly how much we would have to raise resident hunting license to cover all the costs that that NR put into the dept for such programs as Block Management. There were 130,000 resident license sold in Montana last year and 17,000 NR license. NR funded approximately $3.7 million in the BMA program, if we raised resident fees by $30 130,000x$30=$3.9 million. $30 is less then half a tank of gas. So don't think that we have to worship at the NR hunters feet.

If the fees are so out of line why to you continue to come? If for only one season NR hunters didn't show up because the fees are too high the dept would have a reason to lower them. What incentive does the FWP have for reducing NR hunting fees if there are more applicants and willing payers then there are licenses? Have you consider most NR hunters don't flock to PA to have a once in lifetime Elk/mule deer/pronghorn antelope/pheasant/sage/hen/moose/big horn sheep/mountain goat etc etc hunt? Do you suppose that there is more game and more access in a State like Montana then in all of Penn. You have a record number of Whitetails but nowhere near the variety and lenght of season a state like Montana has. Therefore there is more demand to hunt in a place like Montana then in PA.

Nemont

PS. There is no way you drove from PA out to Montana and back for $300 worth of gas and only ate $45 worth of food. It is a minimum 2 day drive both ways. 3,600 miles. I just drove it months ago and gas cost us $475 and we average right at 20 MPG. Tell me where you are eating for $5 a day?