Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened >

HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened

Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: HELP!!! - Archery in Montana Threatened

What Buckshot doesn't seem to get, is that it is a simple matter of supply and demand, nothing more, nothing less. Montana has what many want, to get it, you have to pay
I understand that completely. I really dont have a problem paying more than a resident, heck 5 times more is not a problem, but when your talking 10x more, something doesnt add up. This isnt a private enterprize, its the government, for the life of me, I dont understand why no one else sees that having more than 50 percent of the lic. money taken in comes from the NR, when they only make up 13 percent of the hunting population.

I can't afford to fly to Paris, doersn't mean I should whine to the airlines about how others can
You would if another group of people was paying 15 percent of what you pay.

They commercialized hunting, created videos, bought leases, installed management programs and prositituted the sport to begin with, now the chickens have come home to roost
Youve got to be freaking kidding me, I can still go right down the road and hunt any number of farms for absolutely nothing, just a handshake and thats it. I cant think of one farm around here, that charges anything to hunt, not one, try and say that about your area, we ruined it, give me a freaking break. Your greedy politicians are the ones that ruined it, sooner or later thats going to come back and bite you in the rear.

So BS, if you think your dollars are so valuable, stay your arse home and we will see if we can get by w/o you here.
Heaven help you guys if the eastern states had elk, the vast majority of us would tell you to take your out of this world lic. fees and shove it

Montana is trying to keep the Missouri river breaks a trophy elk area. I support them 100%!
Given the very limited number of gun tags they issue for the breaks, theres no danger in losing those trophy elk, you just cant put a hurting on them using a bow.

This will also provideevery hunter a less crowded better quality hunt.
Thats the only reason I could see cutting back on the number of tags, I know the one saturday, it was like the first day of rifle in pa.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

For those of you that know whats going on,How does this effect the 900 antelope tag????
Old 01-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

For those of you that know whats going on,How does this effect the 900 antelope tag????
Here's the proposed regulations:

900-00 Multi-Region Antelope Archery Only – ArchEquip Only licenses:
• An unlimited number of licenses are available, but limited to one per hunter.• License is valid for either-sex antelope.
• Hunting is restricted to ArchEquip Only.• Archers using this license must also possess a valid bow and arrow license.
• Applications must be postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service no later than June 1. Or the license must be purchased at any FWP office, license provider or FWP website no later than June 1.
• Hunters who apply for this 900-00 Multi-Region antelope license must list 900-00 as their first and only license choice.
• These licenses are valid in the following antelope hunting districts: any hunting district beginning with the number 3, 4, 5, 6 and/or 7.
• 900-00 Multi-Region antelope license holders may be offered, via a separate flyer enclosed with the 900-00 Multi-Region antelope license, the opportunity to purchase one additional doe/fawn 900-30 Multi-Region Archery Only – ArchEquip Only license valid in regions 3, 4, 5, 6 and/or 7. The additional doe/fawn license will be available from any FWP license provider.
• Archers using this license during the antelope "gun" season must wear hunter orange.

Doesn't look any different that prior years to me?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 10% maxiumum non-resident rule has been around for a long time. It actually favors the non-resident in some of the drawing areas, ESPECIALLY on antlerless elk permits. (Most non-residents don't want to pay $650 on a tag and then use it on an antlerless only draw so most of these are 100% drawing odds for non-residents).

The new rule will more than likely drop the number of hunters in the breaks during archery season by a tremendous amount. 1,250 is 75% of the historical # of licenses, BUT I would think WAY more than 10% of those were non-residents. I would think a resident still has a 100% chance of being drawn for that tag until they get several more years of historical applications. It will be a hard draw for non-residents though. Not as bad as the rifle odds, but not far from it.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for responding. If it stays that way it will make me a happy camper.....
Old 01-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

The tentatives for the 900 tags is to do away with the guarantee draw and an annual quota would be set. The feeling is that Outfitters are on a leasing binge with regards to the guaranteed nature of the 900 tags.

The quota is not set in stone yet most assuredly the state is going to end the guarantee nature of the 900 tags.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

That quote is directly out of the proposed 2008 regulations on their website.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

The 2008 regulations have not been printed yet. The tentatives are still open for public comment. There is a proposal to end the guaranteed archery antelope tags.

Antelope Licenses
[blockquote]
Replacing the unlimited 900-series antelope archery licenses with 4,500 licenses available via the annual special drawings.

Allowing hunters to purchase up to three surplus antelope licenses.

Full list of tentatives.
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/article_6339.aspx
Nemont
[/blockquote]
Old 01-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting. I guess they just made a typo on their proposed 2008 information on their site. The Elk quota for the 620 areas was changed in their proposed 2008 information on the site but the 900 antelope wasn't changed yet.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Seems like it's been well documented on different forums about the problems of overcrowding in the breaks so this is a good thing. I'd rather have an opportunity for an occasional tag for bow elk there and have a good experience than every year and see too many hunters...