HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hunting small game and selling the pelt
Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hunting small game and selling the pelt

can be money in it...best way to find out is buy a copy of Fur Fish and Game magazine. it has current average fur prices...they are usually pretty close to being fairly accurate...within a couple bucks usually.

dealing with fur can be as complicated as you make it...i know when we ran coonhounds, dad would roll up the pelts and bag them up and freeze them till we took them to the buyer.

some guys dry them and flesh their furs and stretch them and all that. that requires a little more knowledge and tools...but usually helps you see top dollar, when done right...

tanning is a whole nother process...i dont know anyone that tans fur to be sold...can make alot of money for a tanned hide, but gotta find someone that wants it...when selling green(untanned) fur, its being bought buy buyers to sell to clothing manufacturers alot of times...

skinning critters aint terribly hard either... takes a little practice...

heres a decint site i found on the subject

http://www.traps4kids.com/Furhandling.html

good luck...i dont know a ton about the subject and am new to it myself...but been around coon hides since i could walk....

not a get rich quick scheme...but you can make a little money i suppose depending on how many critters you kill...factor in license, equiptment, time, gas etc and you might loose money..lol...just depends on how many critters you can take...