Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 hunting small game and selling the pelt >

hunting small game and selling the pelt

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

hunting small game and selling the pelt

Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default hunting small game and selling the pelt

i was talking to a friend and he said a buddy of his hunts and trap

a list of animals small game. i can not remember what they were but i know coyote was one of them

he said the guy bags the days limit then skins and drys the pelts and sells them

is there any money in doing this

also who hard is it to dry and tan a hide

on both small game and deer
Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hunting small game and selling the pelt

can be money in it...best way to find out is buy a copy of Fur Fish and Game magazine. it has current average fur prices...they are usually pretty close to being fairly accurate...within a couple bucks usually.

dealing with fur can be as complicated as you make it...i know when we ran coonhounds, dad would roll up the pelts and bag them up and freeze them till we took them to the buyer.

some guys dry them and flesh their furs and stretch them and all that. that requires a little more knowledge and tools...but usually helps you see top dollar, when done right...

tanning is a whole nother process...i dont know anyone that tans fur to be sold...can make alot of money for a tanned hide, but gotta find someone that wants it...when selling green(untanned) fur, its being bought buy buyers to sell to clothing manufacturers alot of times...

skinning critters aint terribly hard either... takes a little practice...

heres a decint site i found on the subject

http://www.traps4kids.com/Furhandling.html

good luck...i dont know a ton about the subject and am new to it myself...but been around coon hides since i could walk....

not a get rich quick scheme...but you can make a little money i suppose depending on how many critters you kill...factor in license, equiptment, time, gas etc and you might loose money..lol...just depends on how many critters you can take...
Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 PM

Default RE: hunting small game and selling the pelt

check out www.trapperman.com its a highly "active" site and im sure some people can help you out there.