HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My First Doe! :(
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 07:29 PM
c_str
Fork Horn

Default RE: My First Doe! :(

badger109 you did fine I think. If I heard gurgling blood I would think that deer is down for the count, and fast, you obviously hit some lungs, so the shot (2nd)was lethal. Apparently some people think you are morally obligated to shoot an entire quiver of arrows in your deer so you had a pincushion to look at, but I think you did ok.

Spine shots are horrible to experience, every hunter I know who has made a spinal shot never feels good about it. I've made 2 with a gun, and it is not fun knowing that the animal is suffering, and scared. You just try and do the best that you can, and prevent mistakes in the future. Part of being human unfortunately.

Now about that quick shot. I practice quick shots, and lots of them. I didn't when I first started bowhunting, but then I learned that things happen pretty quick, and there isn't time to take a 30 second shot, at least not for me. Especially when I am in thick nasty crap that I like to hunt. For me, everything is pretty fast, except for when I pull the trigger on the release, I try and do that somewhat slow, really helps with my accuracy tremendously. But you do what works for you. Next year, you may wait a little longer, and then miss a shot at a huge buck because you took too long, just part of hunting :-)