HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Suggestion on Type of Pheasant Dog?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 04:40 PM
springerDIVA
Fork Horn

Default RE: Suggestion on Type of Pheasant Dog?

All dogs shed. Those with shorter coats shed the most. If you want a versitile hunting companion and family pet then you will need to have the Mrs. involved in the selection of the breed.
I have 3 field bred springers. We have tile and carpet. They are crated in our home office/trophy room. I have a x-pen rug under the 3 crates, it helps keep down on the spills and hair under the crates.
I don't "clip" my dogs. I use a stripping knife (shedding tool). I keep their ears shaved on the underside, make a tidy trail on the back end and keep their feet tidy. We have friends with field bred cockers and their one cat sheds more than their two dogs.

Females tend to have less coat than males. Indoor dogs will typically have less coat too.

There are a lot of great breeds out there. Pick a few, visit responsible breeders or trainers and see what you like. If you want springer or cocker referrals let me know.

www.essfta.org this is our national club and can put you in touch with responsible breeders and trainers.
www.essft.com has some great links for spaniels as well.
and always www.akc.org can help you find links to local clubs.
Field trials will be starting back up soon and that's a great way to see some different breeds at work. That's how we got hooked.