HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?

I like wool a lot. I use a thin polypropylene underlayer -- bottoms and tops as well as thin inner sock. Over this I wear medium weight military surplus wool trousers and a Pendleton wool shirt. When needed, over this I will wear a Filson MacKinaw wool vest -- an article I like a lot, its very comfortable, very warm, lots of mobility. On top of this, if it is really cold, I'll wear a fleece insulated Cabela's parka of some kind that is waterproof fabric (they call it "dry plus"). I have a pair of the Filson heavy weight MacKinaw wool pants, it just never has been cold enough while I was hunting to want to put those on, the medium weight military surplus pants have worked well down to about 15 degrees and to about 30 degrees in driving wet snow. I have sat under an evergreen tree with melting snow dripping onto my wool pants and not gotten cold in these wool pants. I also find that wool dries out pretty quickly. My pants were pretty wet after sitting under the tree with melting snow dripping on me and after that driving wet snow, but just sitting on the back of a chair in my hotel room the pants dried out overnight and were ready to go the next day, which was also true of my polypropylene.

I like wool a lot. I would get a heavy outer wool coat, but frankly most of the time I'm not hunting when it is cold enough to justify this kind of heavy coat.

Be aware that wool doesn't have to cost you a lot. If you do your homework you can find the military surplus wool trousers in your size on the Internet for maybe $20/pair and add $5 for shipping. You can do the same with a good used wool Pendleton shirt -- find it on the Internet and buy for about $20 plus $5 for shipping. Considering the service these articles of clothing provide, those are good prices.