Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion? >

Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?

Guys-

I like to hunt with wool clothing, but it is definately heavier then much of the other cold weather clothing out there. Do any of you use wool outer clothing like Weatherby's or Columbia, King of the Mountain, etc...
Do you see an advantage to wool over the fleeces and synthetics?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?

My father loves wool... But I am paranoid, I think it has the possibility to hold too much scent... This might not be true, but I am a scent fanatic!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I am from New England and have hunted extensively throughout Vermont, NH and Maine. Traditionally most of us who have been hunting for a while chose wool. I always hunt with wool from Johnson Woolen Mills in Johnson, Vermont. I use rubber LaCrosse boots, Johnson green wool pants, an insulated wool shirt and a green Johnson jack shirt (light weight wool coat). I wear an orange hat and vest from Cabelas to make my outfit safer. I still hunt and don't need the warmth that a heavy coat will provide even though I often hunt in temperatures that are well below freezing. The jack shirt has a game pouch in the back and if it gets too hot I take off my insulated wool shirt and put it in the pouch. I don't feel the wool gathers any more scent than any other fabric and always try to hunt into the wind regardless what I am wearing. Wool is quiet, and retains warmth even when wet. It is heavy but that is the way I have always hunted and will continue to do so.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Wool, Wool, and more Wool.... I've always worn wool, and always will. Everything else is just a substitute for good wool.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

In agreement with what C.I. said above ...
I wear silk and/or polypropelene/wool combo underwear but the next layer or 2 is usually wool. It breathes well, warm when wet, tough and quiet. The extra weight issue is balanced out by it's quietness and comfort.

I have been shopping lately for high end camo that will serve me well from 45 degrees to 0 degrees. I'll probably end up with some kind of shell or unisulated coverall and then keep wearing the wool layers beneath as needed.
Or, I might invest on some of the really expensive wook camo that is out now....
Old 12-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

My opinion, you can't beat wool.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Spike

I love my Sleeping Indian wool. Best outerwear I've ever owned! It's very warm and durable. Wish I would of bought some years ago. I wasted alot of money on Browning etc.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Warkie

My opinion, you can't beat wool.
[align=left][/align]
ditto
Old 12-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

if anyone out there has a product that can beat ALL the qualities of wool, please contact me!! IMHO, it can't be done.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

I do a lot of spot and stalking up north where the winters can be brutal. I'll usually sit on the side of a hill and glass for hours. The ground is usually froze or has snow on it and thats what your sitting on. With wool you can sit for hours without getting your keister cold. With synthetics you'll be cold in 15 minutes. The weight really isn't an issue it only amounts to ounces. You'll never notice that. The benefits outway the negatives IMO.

Quick Reply: Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.