HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help with 12 ga slugs!
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need help with 12 ga slugs!

Spined deer will go down even when hit with a broad head. My comment was only made as a result of hunting over several seasons with some very good deer hunters who use the Lightfields and have harvested lots of game. Many of those needed additional shots to kill the deer with decent initial shot placement. The SST is a great bullet and the performance on game isn't in question. The issue was accuracy out ashotgun. Like every other gun and bullet combination some fly better than others on a given gun. You can have one gun shoot sub MOA with a certain load and the same caliber and manufactured gun not be as accurate. That is the hard part about all this. Bullets and slugs are getting expensive and finding the most accurate load can cost a bunch of money. Some are satisfied with something that is marginal and will settle for less. Others such as 358 are continually tweaking to find something better. Rifleman said you can't make a shotgun into a rifle and he is right. I use a rifle, shotgun and ML and need all 3 to be able to be accurate out to 200 yards in order for me to be happy with them. With enough trial, error and time any gun can shoot better.