Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help with 12 ga slugs!

Old 12-26-2007, 01:58 PM

Default RE: Need help with 12 ga slugs!

Teamster284-

seems like we share a similar fate of the SST upgrade. I too purchased several boxes thinking the streamlined aerodynamic shape and extra velocity would make my slug gun a true 150yd deer killer. Not so. I will go back to either Winchester, Federal or Remington after I shoot 2 boxes of each and finalize the data. The winner becomes the slug of choice.
I'm sure Hornady does not want to acknowledge the bad or negative criticism of their product. The quality control of those slugs must vary in the testing room. I'm curious as to the barrel/shotgun combo they're using or if its just a typical barrel only test fire as is the rifle data in reloading. I wish we both could get our money back!
The Remington ultra cor-lokt bonded and Winchester gold partitions shoot very well out of my 20ga H&R slug gun.
I may try these two for the 12ga and see how they do.
Seems like the old Rem and Win standbys still end up as the choice of hunters!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

The SST's don't do very well out of either of my slug guns (Benelli Nova and 870, both rifled cantilever 12ga). I stick with the Federal Barnes Expanders.
That said, they shoot well from my son's 870 rifled 20ga. Go figure.
I also use the Barnes Expanders in my ML. Dropped an 8 point about 6 hours ago. Broadside, through the heart. He literally just laid down in the very spot he stood where I shot him.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a remington 870 with a fully rifled barrel. I have had good luck with Federal premium sabot slugs. They are harder and harder to find because of the newer slugs like you describe. I have a few copper solids to try. I'd love to find the ones I shoot again. They were much cheaper than the 16 dollar a box copper solids. Seems like they were 8 bucks a box instead, maybe less. Like I said its been a while since I've bought them. I have 2 left. So next year I have to find a new slug or a place to get the ones I like.