HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to use a Powerbelt Bullet Correctly
Old 12-23-2007, 07:00 AM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to use a Powerbelt Bullet Correctly

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

i also think that around 300grn bullets work a lot better then the light ones do. i say shoot heavier bullets and knock them down.
Current issue of Guns and Ammo magazine has an article by Mr. Muzzleloader Sam Fadala and his son Nick Fadala titled "Wide-Body Wack", he says "Broad Meplate Bullets in .45-70 persauasion are proving that "big and slow" is the way to go for dangerous game. They were shooting this big 540 Hammerhead meplate bullets at 1550 fps into charginghippo and cape buffalo dropping them in their tracks at 10 feet. Now that is confidence in your bullet in your bullet going "big andslow". It is an excellent article talking about Momentum and Kenetic energy. There are two camps in these MLer bullet discussions, the long range KE campand the Momemtum camp, both have their place in modern inline muzzleloading. I think you have to determine if your going to be an "in the woods" < 100 yards ML shooter or an "open fields" ML shooter. Anyway this article agrees with your theory of Big and Slow for in the woods or close shooting. Sorry this is a bit off the PB thread, but the PB fit the in the woods camp, and it does deal with bullet performance as FG was saying "SLOW" is the way to go for PBs. IE forget the PB marketing page showing 100, 150 and 130g powder bullet loads, it was made for the "long range" crowd.
Chap Gleason