HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barnes bullet performance,, Outstanding!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barnes bullet performance,, Outstanding!!!

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

During this past ML season in IL, I had taken a coyote with a Barnes 245 grain Spit-fire bullet. I had taken a good deal of deer with this bullet, but have been unable to recover the bullets due to pass through performance. This past weekend my buddy and I had taken 2 female yotes using these bullets. I was able to recover my bullet in the ground 5 yards behind my yote, due to the fact I was hunting from a tree stand and the shot was only 30 yards away and we had 3 inches of snow on the ground and I was able to see the point of impact.

I am extremely impressed at the expansion of the bullet, the entrance holes were the diameter of the bullet, but the exit holes were the size of a grapefruit. I would definately not recommend these bullets to people who were wanting to save pelts!!

I was curious to see the weight retention of this bullet. So I took the bullet and put it on my grain scale and it weighed exactly 245 grains, thats 100% weight retention,,,,,,,,,,,, that's remarkable!

Here's the bullet which I had recovered.....................

Thing of beauty! The way it should be---accurate, expanding to 2x, shoot thru, 100% weight retention, deep penetration, bone breaking if it hit it, see "Black Powder Bullets Thread". Chap Gleason