HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2003, 08:07 PM
Tree Hugger

Default RE: Speed is all you need! (?)

Hi,

I' ll give it a try.

I read a article about this some years ago,but I don' t remember who wrote it or what magazine it was in.

I might not have it exactly right but I think I' ll be close.

It stated that there was a flaw in the formula of determining the KE energy from arrow weight and speed.It found that every thing being equal in which arrow penetrated the farthest.

It found that a arrow somewhere in the 400 grain range had the greatest penetration of all.

They found that arrows in this range had just the right amount of weight and speed to get maximum penetration.

I wish I could find the article,but it really blasted the light arrow-heavy poundage theory.I know from experience that once you get under 400 grains your asking for trouble.

This also goes for the real heavy arrow theory,the heavier arrow didn' t always penetrate more, because it didn' t have enough speed!

I realize that it depends on many variables,however it was stateing that if you are shooting a high poundage bow and want to get maximum perfomance in penetration to stay in the 400 grain area.

If someone out there also read this article let me know if I had it right or where I had it wrong,thanks.