Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-01-2003, 08:21 PM

Default RE: Speed is all you need! (?)

NAH, Accuracy kills! The fastest bow in the hands of an inaccurate person=no meat on the table. The slowest bow in expert hands= a full belly. [;D]
Old 03-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

I' ll Bite . . . what good is speed if you don' t have the weight to penetrate.

Light travels at 186,000 miles per second but it can' t penetrate an opaque object without some hole to get through. It is extremely powerful and potentially dangerous . . . but it has No relative MASS.

One could also have a one ton peice of rock but without a velocity acting on it, it will go nowhere and penetrate nothing.

Considering the two scenarios given X Mass and Y velocity and you achieve a force in ft-lbs that is capable of penetarting.

What I am trying to say is that you can have all the speed in the world but without mass, that' s all you have. YOU NEED A COMBINATION OF BOTH TO DO THE JOB!

BTW, I agree with Trapper Dave.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-01-2003, 09:18 PM

But with what grain arrow? To acheive that high of a speed your talking some light arrows. 3-D ok....but hunting noway is alight arrow going to make it....Sure youll have your flukes but in time you will have more crippled animals than meat in the freezer. Going out on a limb here ...your a young guy right? This year I went to a lighter hunting setup ( for more speed) I shoot two deer and recovered both, but....next year I am going to get more weight on my arrows because the penetration was not there like in the past.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-01-2003, 10:19 PM

You hunt with 315 grain arrow????????/ WoW I shoot 311 grain for 3-D and wouldnt think abouut using that for hunting And I thought I was to light at 425 grain for hunting BTW at 61# at 425 I am getting 270 fps....But if it works for you then what can I say???/ I checked and only came up with 69 ke for you. Where did I goof????? My badd ...did it again and got 82 ..sorry
Old 03-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

its all relative Krisken to the animal at hand.

When you get to chase that moose you have posted by your nick, you will rethink that postion, speed kills.

Look at it with 2 balls, a ping pong ball and a golf ball. What one would you want to be hit by.

All things are not created equal however and in the penetration scheme, there is a ton more then just speed or weight, KE or MOM along that will factor in the total equation of penetration.

And no the trade offs are not worth the minimal gaings.

Btw, you are the perfect candidate for the Natal Test findings.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:50 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

" The benifits of speed : 2 K.E.relative to heavier (slower) arrow "
Actually, no. Simple physics dictates that a heavier arrow will absorb more of the bow' s energy. The end result is a slightly higher Ke with a heavier arrow. The Ke difference is minimal, but by increasing your arrow mass your momentum greatly increases.

Ever wonder why in order to hunt dangerous game in Africa, by law, you have to use a heavy arrow (something like 900 grains)? It ain' t because " speed kills" .

" I have 82# K.E. with a 62# BK2 useing a 315gr. arrow @ 342f.p.s."
Cool. Call a PH in Mozambique and tell him you want to hunt Cape Buffalo with that set-up. Don' t take his laughing personally.

Speed and Ke figures are good for one thing though...they sure do sell a lot of new bows every year.

JRW
Old 03-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Typical Buck

I' m shooting 241 fps @ 67# and a 463 gr arrow. My KE Calculates at 60 ft-lbs and it has done the job every time for me. It is not the resultant of my mass or speed . . . the laws of physics prove that it is a product of the two. If one only considers speed he only has HALF of the equation. You simply cannot have one without the other and still be effective . . . and that is a law of physics that cannot be avoided.

Speed is not what kills! Mass is not what kills! It is and always will be the product of the two that provides penetration.

By the way Kriskin, your arrow would be ILLEGAL here in Washington State. You must have 6 grains of arrow per pound of draw weight.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.