HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sunday Hunting ban
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Remnard
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sunday Hunting ban

Sunday hunting bans date back to the old blue law days. There were no stores open in many states, let alone liquor stores. Like the map above shows, we have no sunday hunting here in the peoples republik of Konnecticut. However we are trying to change it.

The first argument of course is the separation of church and state and the fact that some people aren't at all religious.

The second argument is game management. Studies were done and due to the fact that we have too many deer,the numbers worked out better to allow sunday hunting than if the state just lengthened the season by a couple of weeks. The belief was more people would hunt on Sunday than would take weekdays off to utilize the lengthened season. Here in Connecticut we bring it before the legislature each year during the legislative session.

Every state that has a ban should organize and start harassing your legislators for Sunday hunting.

Here are a couple of websites for those that are politically active and would like to see how we approach it.
http://www.nwcsc.org/

http://www.ussportsmen.org/Read1.cfm?ID=1945&programdocs=BHR

It is of course an uphill battle but anything worth fighting for takes time.

As far as those that are against it, well just don't hunt on Sunday. Those that are for it, should be able to enjoy a day afield on sunday if that is their only day that they can do it.

That's what makes this country what it is. You do what you want and I do what I want. As long as I am not hurting you or infringing on your rights, MYFB

As far as the trespass issues go, if private landowners don't want sunday hunting, so be it. Most states you need trespass permission, so they have that option to say yes or no. However ANY public Land should be allowed to be utilized when the citizens can, not when some religious zealot says I can. I don't see the state giving me 1 day off a week from paying taxes, so why shouldI be allowed to use the land only six days a week?

I have also heard :well what about the NON hunters that want to go out on sundays and enjoy nature? Well they have the other 10 or so months of the year to enjoy the out of doors, when I can't hunt.