HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting Knives
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Soilarch

Default RE: Hunting Knives

How much you wanna spend

That's a good place for us to start with suggestions.

Keeping things REAL general: I think the steel is most important part of a knife, the second is what type of edge (how you sharpen it) it has. The first one you're stuck with, the second you can experiment and improve upon. Most commercial made knives are going to stainless. D-2 steel being the exception. It is not "technically" a stainless because it's chromium content is just shy of the required 4% (i think, cloudy on the numbers). It's practically a stainless, and while it's a bear to sharpen will hold an edge for good, good long time. 440C is a great standard SS. It is NOT the same as 440A and 440B!!!! ATS-34, 154-CM, VG-10, S30V, S60V,S90V,AUS-6.AUS-8 are all steels that can be found and that CAN make great blades as well! The heat treat process can make or break the best and the worst steels in the world. This is why buying from a known and respected brand comes in. 420 is the low end of stainless, and while I love buck knives for the money, that's what they use.

Now you can always just find one that looks cool, feels goods, and fits your budget...but what fun is that!? lol

I like 4" drop points for a do-all hunting knife. I think guthooks are a great little idea but can't bring myself to buy a knife with one on the blade, and I seem to manage just fine. The real key is to just learn how to...and then keep that thing scary sharp.