HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My father and I
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 04:52 PM
AF Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My father and I

Someday when you are a father, you will learn what children mean to their parents. My father rarely dropped what he was doing to come and help me, but would give me advice anytime day or night. As he laid dying in the local hospice, he told me that he had been hard on me to make sure I succeeded in life. He also told me he was very proud of me and how well I had raised my children. He went on to tell me things he remembered fondly which included getting morels, fish, pheasant, and venisonfrom me every year, my son and I going over and shoveling his drive and sidewalks, my son and I going over and mowing, the list went on and on. He told me that watching my son and I do so many things together made him realize he failed by not physically helping me when I needed it. It was one of the best times I ever had with my father. Since your dad made the 3+ hour drive to help you, do something nice for him like show up unexpectedly and take him to do something he enjoys doing. It'll give him a fond memory forever.