HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help needed -- please read ...
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help needed -- please read ...

I've actually heard somegood stuff about the Mossberg rifles, although I've never owned or shot one. One of the reviews I read indicated they had pretty good out-of-the-box accuracy - better than a number of the high-priced & highly-touted new offerings (e.g. Benelli's R1, T/C Icon, and a few others)

However, if the Mossbergs don't appeal to you, I'd probably go with Stevens for being the best of the low-cost rifles. I guess I couldn't even tell you if they make a stainless, though. The stocks they use are hideous, though. But there'sa quick, easy, low-cost fix for that. Krylon makes aerosol can spray paint that will stick to a synthetic stock no problem. The cans are about $4 or so and can be found at Wal-Mart. Pull the stock off the Stevens action and tape off anything that can't be removed from it. Paint it any color you want. (Anything is better than that pukey looking primer gray) What looks really sharp, IMO, is going over it afterward with webbing paint. Webbing paint also costs about $4 andis another aerosol-type can that shoots paint out kind of like silly string. It turns out pretty sweet on rifle stocks, though. (Similar to what Weatherby puts on some of their synthetic stocks) Tan base with black webbing looks good. So does white with black webbing (kind of a snow camo) or a black base with either white or tan (gold) webbing. Or even multiple colors of webbing. The only catch to that is that the webbing paint is harder to find. May have to go to a hobby store or, failing that, order it off the 'net. (misterart.com has them) Then, after you've got the base coat on and the webbing paint on it, top it off with some matte clear coat. (Again, about $4) One note: let the webbing paint dry completely, then wipe the stock with a towel to take off the stuff that didn't stick. (some of the webbing paint comes out so thin it dries before it hits the stock and thus doesn't adhere) Oh, and if you're worried, don't be: ANYONE can do it. You don't need to be a gunsmith to pull off the stock and you don't need a big area to paint. The spray from the cans hardly drifts at all, so it can be done in a garage or even a porch.

In the end, you can have less than $20 invested and a custom-stock look. Plus, your son-in-law to be will appreciate that you put effort into his gift and not just some coin. I've done the same with most of my synthetics. Some of them don't need it as much, but those Stevens stocks sure need some help.

Also, for the gun choice: I'd avoid the Remington 710.

Anyway - sorry to babble. Hope this helps.