Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help needed -- please read ... >

Help needed -- please read ...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help needed -- please read ...

Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Help needed -- please read ...

I am looking to buy a gun as a Christmas gift for my step daughters boyfriend. He needs a deer rifle, but I don't want to go overboard -- on the outside chance that they break up instead of wind up getting married ( like we think they will )...

Anyway, I know he likes a stainless laminate or stainless synthetic. They least expensive gun I have found is a Mossberg ATR 100 stainless / syn... in either 30.06 or .270 for 320.00. They also make a Mossberg 4x4 in stainless / syn. , same cal.'s for 373.00. They also make a stainless / laminate in the 4x4 for a little more...

Does anyone have any experience with these guns, or good knowledge of them? Are they any good? Are they just a cheap gun, and not decent shooters? Any help would be appreciated.... He is a good kid, but I just can't break the bank for a boyfriend..... future son-in-law, maybe, but I also don't want to buy a piece of junk.

Also, any other suggestions are appreciated....

I know someone out there knows something.... you guys own too many guns not to have some info...

Also, To clarify .... we think they WILL wind up married....

but ya never know these days, and he has been borrowing one of my guns, because he has a 30-30 that is with his sorry - no account - dad ( who left him and his mom for another girl years ago ) in Monroe, LA, and he says he will probably never see the gun again ..... so I want to do something nice for him..... and he will have his own gun.... ( he doesn't like borrowing stuff ).

Thanks in advance......

MichaelT.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help needed -- please read ...

Would you consider a used rifle? I would prefer a used Remington or Winchester than a new Mossberg.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

When my nefew and niece was the age to handle their first deer gun I purchased a H&R single shots for their Christmas presents several years ago. Bout a 243win and 308win. Cost around $265.00. They shot good and down the road is to upgrade.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 PM

I don't like anything Mossberg makes, but that's just me. If he's hunting your area, a Marlin .30-30 is always a good choice, and it should be in your price range. Try Simmons in Bastrop, Louisiana, they have a pretty good inventory.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:50 PM

Take a look at the Howa 1500. They're more expensive, but the extra money is worth it IMO. You can get a stainless synthetic from many places for ~$500, or a blued/synthetic for ~$400. You might be able to pick up a stainless Ruger in your price range too. The last stainless/laminated Ruger I bought was $545.

In the meantime, keep your eye open for a good used rifle. That's where the real deals are.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:00 AM

I'd look at picking up a Savage in 30-06 or 308, you know you're getting a quality product and it's not going to break the bank either.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 AM
c j
Typical Buck

I've actually heard somegood stuff about the Mossberg rifles, although I've never owned or shot one. One of the reviews I read indicated they had pretty good out-of-the-box accuracy - better than a number of the high-priced & highly-touted new offerings (e.g. Benelli's R1, T/C Icon, and a few others)

However, if the Mossbergs don't appeal to you, I'd probably go with Stevens for being the best of the low-cost rifles. I guess I couldn't even tell you if they make a stainless, though. The stocks they use are hideous, though. But there'sa quick, easy, low-cost fix for that. Krylon makes aerosol can spray paint that will stick to a synthetic stock no problem. The cans are about $4 or so and can be found at Wal-Mart. Pull the stock off the Stevens action and tape off anything that can't be removed from it. Paint it any color you want. (Anything is better than that pukey looking primer gray) What looks really sharp, IMO, is going over it afterward with webbing paint. Webbing paint also costs about $4 andis another aerosol-type can that shoots paint out kind of like silly string. It turns out pretty sweet on rifle stocks, though. (Similar to what Weatherby puts on some of their synthetic stocks) Tan base with black webbing looks good. So does white with black webbing (kind of a snow camo) or a black base with either white or tan (gold) webbing. Or even multiple colors of webbing. The only catch to that is that the webbing paint is harder to find. May have to go to a hobby store or, failing that, order it off the 'net. (misterart.com has them) Then, after you've got the base coat on and the webbing paint on it, top it off with some matte clear coat. (Again, about $4) One note: let the webbing paint dry completely, then wipe the stock with a towel to take off the stuff that didn't stick. (some of the webbing paint comes out so thin it dries before it hits the stock and thus doesn't adhere) Oh, and if you're worried, don't be: ANYONE can do it. You don't need to be a gunsmith to pull off the stock and you don't need a big area to paint. The spray from the cans hardly drifts at all, so it can be done in a garage or even a porch.

In the end, you can have less than $20 invested and a custom-stock look. Plus, your son-in-law to be will appreciate that you put effort into his gift and not just some coin. I've done the same with most of my synthetics. Some of them don't need it as much, but those Stevens stocks sure need some help.

Also, for the gun choice: I'd avoid the Remington 710.

Anyway - sorry to babble. Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a old Mossberg and it is surprising how well it shoots. I bought it as a loaner gun and it shoots as well as any of the other rifles we have. I'm sure he would be thrilled with any gun you buy him.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM

I see people telling you not to get one, but not telling you why? I don't own one, but have looked at them. And I have honestly not heard anything bad about them. I am sure they are selling them being they are priced so low. If they were real pieces of junk I would think we would be seeing more posts about how bad they were.

If someone here has a valid reason not to get one I would be interested in hearing it because I am also considering one. Other than just not liking anything mossberg makes considering they have one of the best selling pump guns on the market.

As far as the handi rifle in 243, the handi's are pretty decent for the money but I have heard the 243's have problems with the cases sticking. I don't know if they have fixed this yet or not. Besides for not much more you could get a bolt action. The Handi's were a great bargain until the mossberg and stevens 200's came out.

I honestly think you should wait until they get married.

Paul
Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly think you should wait until they get married.
Me too. Your said he's just her "boyfriend", so being that they are not even engaged yet, you'd feel like a fool if you bought that rifle and two weeks later he dumps her. I'd wait until their wedding and give him a nice rifle as part of their wedding gift. But that's just me.

But if you must buy a rifle for him, I'd get a rifle for yourself and let him use it. Then, if he puts a ring on her finger, you could give it to him at that time. That would be my opinion.

As far as the type of rifle, I'd look at the Savage line. They have some great features and the accuracy is very good. Since he already had a .30-30, you might consider a Marlin 336.

Good luck,

Mike

Quick Reply: Help needed -- please read ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.