HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have you learned anything new this year
Old 11-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Have you learned anything new this year

I am not a trophy hunter. I just like having a good hunt and taking a deer - either a buck or a doe, it doesn't matter to me. I took a buck the evening of the opening day. I had a doe permit also, but I made some mistakes. I found myself preferring to watch a football game -- the Dallas Cowboys -- on Thursday, Thanksgiving day, rather than hunting. I realized that I was looking at the hunting as directed to getting the deer rather than the process or state of hunting. I know, sounds sort of weird. But to me it is more than the act of killing the deer, it is the whole process and state of hunting. 5 seconds of viewing and shooting the deer and the whole show is over. It is more, for me, of the process and flow of hunting than the actual pay off. I realized I should be out hunting where I have the chance of learning more stuff. And I did learn a little -- I found a place where deer were slipping under a fence, as can be seen from deer hair on the fence. So, keep actively hunting.