HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barnes Spit Fire MZ 245 g
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 09:53 PM
gopherfan
Spike

Default RE: Barnes Spit Fire MZ 245 g

I love 'em. But they didn't load well in my omega until I had shot a few cans of powder. Nothing groups better for me andI get 3/4" groups at 50 yards. Two weeks ago I got to see what they could do on a deer. I shot this 135# doe broadside at 50 yards with 100gr 2F triple7. Complete pass through high behind the shoulder. Both lungs, trachea, and major vessles (aorta, vena cava) were destroyed. No evidence of fragmentation at all. The entrance and exit wounds were 1 1/2" in diameter. Somehow, she ran for 50 yards before crashing.

One thing that I experienced with this load (being a very tight load for me) is that it gets even tighter when the temperature drops. I was sighting in this fall (60 degrees) and while hunting (20 degrees) I had to put much more pressure on the rod than was comfortable with.For this reason I am using my backup load (speer gold dot with crushed rib sabot) for the muzzleloader season in december.

Ifyou're gonna spend $1 a shotI highly recommend this bullet vs a powerbelt for the same money. I've seen them (PB) fragment something terrible in deer and just got a report from a friend in Mighigan that he nearly lost an 8 pointer for this exact reason just a few days ago. Hit it in the chest, no exit wound, nothing but shrapnel recovered. Good luck, Tom