Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Barnes Spit Fire MZ 245 g >

Barnes Spit Fire MZ 245 g

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes Spit Fire MZ 245 g

Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Barnes Spit Fire MZ 245 g

Nice deer! I am assuming that a 245.g spit fire was used?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, and yes a 245 Spitfire did the trick
Old 12-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

ML season is now starting tomorrow for Iowa going to sit in the stand with a bow and the ML and see what happens, got a nice 10 point this year already with the slug gun. Told myself I was only going to shoot doe’s with slugs but couldn’t resist when the time came.

Shooting about 3-4 inches high at 90 yards for extra range with 2 777 pellets and the 245 g SF’s hope they do the trick.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gopherfan

da new guy-

I haven't shot the285gr variety (only the 245 gr spitfire). The diameter is 0.451 for both projectiles. I asssume that the sabots and bullet profile is the same in both. When I first bought my omega I gave up on loading them. I just couldn't get them down the barrel. I ended up trying different sabots (crushed rib & other MMP sabots) and they loaded fine but things went way south on the accuracy. I couldn't even hit the paper consistently at 50 yards. Spitfires have a boat-tail and the ribs for the enclosed yellow sabots are not cut to the base. Essentially, the boat-tail is protected in the base of the sabot. This may not hold true for you but I'm very skeptical that a sabot not designed for a boat-tailed bullet will group well. Fortunately, with more shooting and some barrel cleaning with JB bore polish they load easier now. I took a deer this year and it put two massive holes in it's chest.

What also groups well in my omega is a crushed rib sabot with a 300 gr speer gold dot or hornady XTP if your father is looking for alternatives. I know many folks have had good results with the speer gold dot bullet. SST's are another good option.

Good luck and please report back if you do try some different sabots and get the barnes bullets to group. Tom
Some guys over on the Savage Forum that I am a member of shoot the MZ with a Crush Rib but the put a #8 washer in the bottom of the sabot to "even out the boattail". They say that really helps accuracy and no blown sabots. Give that a try. Chap Gleason
Old 12-17-2007, 07:45 PM

I have been using the Barnes 245 spitfire with the yellow sabot out of an Encore with 2 50 grain prodex pellets. All I can say is WOW. Very accurate and devastating on deer. Shot 2 deer this year with this setup. Both drooped in there tracks. Not even 1 step.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gpscoqn

I have been using the Barnes 245 spitfire with the yellow sabot out of an Encore with 2 50 grain prodex pellets. All I can say is WOW. Very accurate and devastating on deer. Shot 2 deer this year with this setup. Both drooped in there tracks. Not even 1 step.
yes, I would expect that of a Barnes bullet with that big a Hollow Point. That is what ya want, boom/Flop and no tracking job. Congratulations. Chap Gleason
Old 01-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Hey L.Clement,

Had another one fall victim to the 245g Spitfire. No tracking required as it was a "boom flop."

You may have already seen him under my "boom flop" thread, but just in case...

Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

L. Clement, Check for parrellax, if you bent the scope barrel you will have it and may have to replace the scope to get back your groups. Lee
Old 01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gopherfan

da new guy-

I haven't shot the285gr variety (only the 245 gr spitfire). The diameter is 0.451 for both projectiles. I asssume that the sabots and bullet profile is the same in both. When I first bought my omega I gave up on loading them. I just couldn't get them down the barrel. I ended up trying different sabots (crushed rib & other MMP sabots) and they loaded fine but things went way south on the accuracy. I couldn't even hit the paper consistently at 50 yards. Spitfires have a boat-tail and the ribs for the enclosed yellow sabots are not cut to the base. Essentially, the boat-tail is protected in the base of the sabot. This may not hold true for you but I'm very skeptical that a sabot not designed for a boat-tailed bullet will group well. Fortunately, with more shooting and some barrel cleaning with JB bore polish they load easier now. I took a deer this year and it put two massive holes in it's chest.

What also groups well in my omega is a crushed rib sabot with a 300 gr speer gold dot or hornady XTP if your father is looking for alternatives. I know many folks have had good results with the speer gold dot bullet. SST's are another good option.

Good luck and please report back if you do try some different sabots and get the barnes bullets to group. Tom
Some guys over on the Savage forum shoot the Spitfire with a Crushed rib and place a #8 washer at the bottom of the bullet to keep the sabottight to the barrelwhen fired, because of the boattail. There are other options, however, buy thier 45/70 bullet in 250 or 300g and get the FB (flat base), that is the exact same bullet as the MZ, but a .458 diameter, the MZ is .451 or .452. Many shoot that in an Orange MMP sabot and have good luck, also several guys over on the Savage forum shoot the Barnes Origonal 300g 45/70 .458 diameter in a Crushed rib (.452 sabot) or an orange MMP (.458 sabot) and have 1" groups at 100 yards. I have all these bullets to test in my Savage, and the sabots. I will do that in Feb, after our season ends (Feb 2nd is last day in Loudoun Co Va). I am planning on going to Barnes in my Savage because of penetration, wt retention, expansion and shoot thru. I will continue to use Noslers in my Omega and my Disc, since they work well in the penetration, expansion, wt retention and shoot thru department. Only reason I am changing is BC of the Barnes Orginal is a lot better for distance shooting. So those are some options for you if you want to get away from "packaged bullets". If you want to stay packaged bullet and the Barnes is "spaying for your at 50 yards", then try a Nosler partition or a Speer Gold Dotsince they are flat based. I like the 300g since they shoot thru big boned deer, the 250s and 240g don't for me.
Chap Gleason
Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys very nice info and to the guy that got the deer, glad to see that the barnes is doing the job.

I did get a chance to shoot at a nice buck (14 pointer) with the ML but my bullet dropped just before hitting the deer. I ranged him at 160 approximately and should have aimed higher. I don’t think I missed him by much and really didn’t even didn’t want to shoot but it was close to dark and I didn’t think I would see that deer again before the season ended and I was right on that part. (It was a perfect broad side)

I should get a chance next year at the same deer and I think he may be bigger since he is very light in color compared to others in the heard.

I plan to play with the 245 G and the 300 G to see what works the best.