HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who's getting psyched in New York?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 08:21 AM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who's getting psyched in New York?

Steve863, I disagree in part on hunters would rather sit home than hunt public land. The main reason I feel hunter #'s are down. Lack of deer!! Hunters go out to see, and harvest a deer. We had plenty of hunters in the older days when a guy could hit the woods, and was nothing to see 20 plus deer. Groups of 1/2 dozen together. Now you just don't see that. I fully understand the DEC decreasing the herd size due to the woods carry capacity reasons. But thats not the single or possibly main reason. Its Ins. issues, farmers, and public complaints. My area alone, the bucks per square mile expected take was changed after public meetings on complaints of too many deer 4 or 5 yrs ago. But since then 7m went 2 yrs w/o management permits, and now its only been a Med & none chance on obtaining one for last 2 seasons. The buck take is always less than the set numbers. But DEC continues to listen to the publics needs. Even if it means less hunters. I hunt private land surrounded by state. In my last 3 opening day seasons I seen a total of 1 deer. I scout the state woods, and see little sign. We've done food plots, and other plantings to attract what deer exist to our property.
I too have noticed less hunters in woods, butin my opinion the main reason is becasue of lack of deer.
Even less reason to get Psyched!!