HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 35-Official Team Whitetail Warriors Thread!
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Planter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 35-Official Team Whitetail Warriors Thread!

Well its not the biggest buckI'vetaken but he has a big body and I'm more than pleased.He has already gone to the butcher and I will "try" and score him when I get the rack back. Must be a link somewhere on how to score them.

Anyway... I was in the woods before 5AM with shooting light not coming until after 6:30. Before I climbed up into the stand I misted and rag dragged away from my stand like I always do. I never drag going in cause I was told once that a buck will follow the trail back to where you started the drag because that where the scent is the strongest. I also fired off one of those silly "Buck Bombs" that got me two bucks last year and brought in one I shot but did not recover on monday. (Story on XBowforum).

It was still darker than my wifes heartand I could hear bucks fighting out at 50 yards along with deer just walking under my stand which I could notsee. Just before first light I heard a buck beating up a scape I have been sweetening up. He was thrashing trees and making a hell of a racket. Never heard a buck grunting like this guy was just working a scrape.

I had a little 5pt walk under me and usually I would shoot that in a heartbeat but I held off. 10 minutes laterI hear this guy strolling thru the woods in my direction. He was foolish enough to walk into my 20 yard shooting lane and I thumped him good. He ran 30 yards and folded. I got lots of lung and cut a hole thru his heart.

I included a picture of his overbite. I have never seen a bottom jaw shorter than the top jaw. It's odd...